At Plumbing Bros. we have fully qualified gas technicians should you ever encounter a situation where you can either small gas, have a gas leak or if ATCO have isolated your mains due to a leak. Finding a gas leak can be a time-consuming procedure, due to the fact we cannot physically see the leak we can-not give a time-frame on how long the leak will take to find. Therefore, we charge our standard rates when dealing with gas leaks unless stated otherwise.
Gas Leak Procedure
- Remove gas “U-bend” and cap off gas up-right stand with brass cap
- Connect onto test nipple with either a digital manometer or water manometer, pumping the pressure to the gas system up to a minimum of 5Kpa
- For a minimum of 5 minutes test pressure. Should there be no visual drop in pressure then there is NO leak present. If after 5 minutes the pressure has dropped, this means there is a leak present somewhere on the gas line and it must be rectified before gas is turned on
- When a gas leak is present: Any visible joints such as nuts, isolation valves, fixtures such as bayonets and cooktops need to have soapy water applied. If a gas leak is present from one of these connections it will bubble and show up.
- Should the previous step not show the gas leak the next step will be isolating each fixture separately and then testing the gas to see whether the appliance itself has an internal leak.
- Failing the previous step, we will then (depending on where the gas line has been run) cap off different sections of the gas line, this will determine which section of the gas line is leaking and once found we will quote to renew a certain section OR repair leak if accessible.
- Once a gas leak is repaired: Once a gas leak is repaired we will fully test the system, then purge all air from the line from the furthest fixture.
- Re-light any hot water units and test all gas appliances to make sure all are working
- Fill out all regulatory gas paper-work and give to client
On rare occasions where the gas line is not accessible to cap off and test or on occasions where it would not be cost effective to locate and repair the leak, we will advise the owner of the most cost-effective solution and quote accordingly. Should this be the case, the client will always be notified prior to proceeding with any works.
Portable Space Heater Servicing
Do you own a gas heater?!
Gas heaters are great for keeping warm, but they can be deadly if not maintained properly.
If gas heaters are faulty or poorly maintained, they can leak carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can be lethal as it can’t be seen and has no smell. It can cause death or chronic illness.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in any home or building with gas heating appliances, including newer ones.
Keep your family safe this winter by arranging a gas heater service today with your local plumber/ gasfitter. Before you book, ask the gasfitter if they have the right equipment to test for carbon monoxide leakage.
Responsibilities for Landlords
- Ensure only licensed people do all gas-fitting and electrical work.
- Before re-letting, ensure all appliances are safe and any unsafe appliance is repaired or removed.
- Ensure all gas appliances, pipework and flue systems are maintained in a safe condition.
- Ensure all ventilation openings are clear and unobstructed.
- Ensure all pipes are sealed correctly if an appliance has been removed.
- Record all safety checks and details of work carried out on a gas or electrical installation.
- Flue systems must be examined regularly, especially those related to decorative gas log fires, internal hot water heaters and space heaters. Flue terminals must be checked to ensure they are not blocked and are vermin-proof.
- Burning or discolouration on the front or above a space or water heater indicates a problem and must be checked immediately.
- Air vents must not be blocked or covered.
- Piping systems should be checked every five years or whenever a new or replacement appliance is installed
Standard Service Procedure = $150+
Plumbing Bros. is a fully qualified company with gas servicing credentials, so we can fully service any portable space heater.
- Clean all dust and debris from any internal fans and filters
- Test all visible gas joints for leaks
- Clean all pilot tube and burners
- Conduct a state of the art carbonmonoxide test to make sure heater is safe and functional
Portable Gas Heaters (Bayonet Installs)
Should a client have an old run down in-built space heater which they want to swap over for a portable space heater, we can install safe bayonet points with regulatory high and low vents, so clients can safely enjoy the heat.
Standard Gas Bayonet Install = $450+
- Manometer test houses gas line
- NOTE: If a gas leak is present, entire job will be charged at time and materials
- Tee off existing gas line no more than 2m from external wall (any distance further will be extra)
- Run down external wall and punch through installing spud at no more or no less than 5% of the ceiling height
- Supply and install gas bayonet
- Supply and install 1 x high and 1 x low vent
- NOTE: Whilst we take the utmost care in jackhammering walls and floors, unfortunately we cannot be responsible for any possible patch works that may be encountered due to brittle walls and floors etc.
- Re-test gas line and commission appliance
- Fill out regulatory gas paperwork and leave on site
NOTE: Any non-standard bayonet installs such as a two-story house or should the client want the gas line chased in an internal wall then this will be quoted from a site visit.